The Trustees & Benefactor

The Trustees and its Benefactor have left the Kilmore Mechancs’ Institute a significant legacy for the Kilmore community, and The Institute has recognised their contribution by focussing on issues of wide community interest.

George Spratt Beveridge (1827-1891) was a district farmer and descendant of a Victorian pioneering family. Two of his brothers Mitchell Kilgour and Peter wrote books. The father of Landcare in Australia, Professor Brian Roberts, from the University of Southern Queensland delivered the inaugural lecture titled ‘The Challenge for Landcare: Why We Must Not Fail’. Future George Spratt Beveridge Rural Lectures will focus on the importance of farming in the Kilmore district.

George Hudson (1826-1886) was a flourmiller and merchant whose wide community interests have been continued by following generations of his family. The Hudson legacy is significant and the annual George Hudson Memorial Awards provides cash for local people to pursue excellence within the community. Past awards have resulted in the formation of a youth theatre group, an open garden project, improvement of netball coaching, purchase of special needs toys for the Kilmore Toy Library and the compilation of a CD on past Kilmore district farming methods.

Dr Andrew Nash (1834-85) was born in Ireland and arrived in Kilmore at its rise to pre-eminence in the early 1850s. He was a skilled medico who moved to New South Wales to continue with his Mechanics’ Institute role. The Dr Andrew Nash Memorial Medical Lecture focuses on an issue of community health.

John Taylor (1834-1917) a bachelor, was Scottish-born, and he was Kilmore’s first Mayor. The Taylor family continued to have impact on the Kilmore community for the next century. The John Taylor Lecture/Workshop process focuses specialist attention on a matter of wide-spread community importance. Past processes have focussed on the Mt William Aboriginal Quarry, with Professor Isobel McBryde; Kilmore’s youth; with the God's Squad Motorcycle Club; and A Vision for Kilmore with urban planner Professor Dimity Reed and KPMG staffer Graham Holdaway.

Edward Woodward (1829?-1867) printed and then owned the local newspaper. He printed Kilmore’s first book Gatherings Among the Gum-Trees. The Edward Woodward Memorial Artisans’ School looks at an old trade and leaves a lasting benefit in the community. The inaugural course was post and rail splitting and a fence was erected in the Kilmore Hospital precinct and a video Post and Rail Fencing was made on the day.

Judith Morris (1820?-1885) became Kilmore’s most prominent landowner on the death of her husband. It was to Judith Morris’ generosity that the Institute was able to purchase its own land and build its own hall which was to be the town’s focus for the next century. The Judith Morris Memorial Seminar which addresses a community health issue, with a day-long Seminar. The first featured Dr Katherine Rowe a world authority on Attention Deficit Disorder. The Institute subsequently sponsored the formation of a district ADD support group and donated its ABC Video on ADD which it had purchased.


Back to The Kilmore Mechanics' Institute Home Page