1. Coranderrk: a history of the aboriginal station – Aldo Massola. (out of print)
2. The Aborigines of Victoria and Riverina - Peter Beveridge. (2008) 250p. P $45.00. 9781920753085.
The reprint of this long out of print title by Peter Beveridge (1825-85) again puts a valuable first-hand account of Aboriginal life into the public domain. It is supplemented by a note on the author and publisher and contemporary illustrations.
1. Reminiscences of Whittlesea - E M Duffy. (1971) xvi, 44p H $37.50. 0909706042
2. Ballarat: A Brief History - A W Strange. (out of print)
3. Castlemaine: A Golden Harvest - Raymond Bradfield. (out of print)
4. Death of a Forest: A Story of the Heytesbury Shire - Rosamund Duruz. (out of print)
5. Sealing, Sailing and Settling in
South-Western Victoria - J M MacKenzie. (1976) xii, 82p H $48.00.
This book traces the development of Portland, Warrnambool and Port Fairy by five seamen. It goes on to trace the exploration and settlement of areas along the coast.
6. Pretty Sally's Hill: A History of Wallan, Wandong and Bylands - JW Payne.(1981) xi, 160p H $37.50. 0909706700
Historical Manuscripts Series
1. A History of Greta - S E Ellis. (1972) xii, 40p H $75.00 0909706247
1. Glimpses of North-Eastern Victoria and Albury, New South Wales - William Mason Finn. (out of print)
2. Land, Labour and Gold: or Two Years in Victoria - William Howitt. (out of print)
3. Kilmore: A Tale of a Century 1837-1937 - JA Maher. (2002) xvi, 153p, illustrations, index. P $32.95. 1920753001.
A history of Kilmore, Victoria's oldest inland settled town, written by a descendant of a pioneering family in 1937. The author drew on the reminiscences of a wide range of district people.
4. Tracks to the Jordan - H J Stacpoole. (out of print)
Man From Curdie’s River: Or Where Men Are Made - Donald
MacLean. (1974) xvii, 168p H $50.00. 0909706298
This reprint of a rare 1907 publication tells of life in the Heytesbury Forest region of coastal Western Victoria from the point of view of a Presbyterian minister and is largely autobiographical.
in Victoria: or Victoria in 1853, and Victoria in 1858 - William
Kelly. (1977) 740p H $75.00. 0909706581
This book, originally published as two volumes in 1859, is regarded as one of the standard works on the 1850s period. William Kelly was a solicitor who travelled widely in Victoria, whilst being engaged in various business enterprises. This edition comes with a biographical note on the author, an index and often missing from the original, the folding map.
7. Early Reminiscences of the Wimmera and Mallee and Reminiscences of the Early Mallee and Wimmera – Robert H Stainthorpe and William Candy. (2009) xv, 128p. P $29.95. 9781920753146.
A first-hand story of two men arriving as children on the same property in the Wimmera in the 1860s growing, working and prospering in their separate fields. Both have recorded their life versions and reminiscences of the Wimmera and Mallee area during their concurrent time there. A fascinating documentation of early life, resourcefulness, and areas of heritage from two different perspectives – Robert Henry Stainthorpe (1855-1934), leading business figure, and William Candy (1854-1935), leading community figure. Foreword by Doug McColl.
1. Kilmore Remembers: Road and Street Names – A Selection – Compiled by Jim Lowden. (2011) v, 84p. P $15.95. 9781920753191.
A booklet detailing the history (and associated biographies) of the road and street names of Kilmore, Victoria.
A New Series that will tell the history of some of Kilmore’s Buildings, Clubs and Landmarks. Please check back again for updates of new booklets available.
Soon to be completed:
2. Kilmore Remembers: High Park High Frequency Radio Station – Compiled by Jim Lowden. (TBC).
3. Kilmore Remembers: The Astor Theatre – Compiled by Jim Lowden. (TBC)
1. The History of Beveridge - J W Payne. H (out of print; paperback still available)
2. Just Longwood - Ildie Houston. (1975) 72p H $47.50. 090970645X
3. Memoirs of Mrs Poole and Mrs Chauncy
- Philip Lamothe Snell Chauncy (1976) xii, 72p H $55.00. 0909706492
This is a reprint of two rare pamphlets published in 1873 and 1876. Suitable illustrations, a portrait and biographical notes on the author and index complete this title of a Limited Edition of 250.
4. Wollert State School 1877-1977: A Centenary
History of Wollert State School No. 1861 - J W Payne. With
contributions by Sylvia Schultz/Roger Bodycoat/David Freeman. (1977) xii, 63p H
This book traces the history of a small Victorian rural school on the northern outskirts of Melbourne. Edition limited to 300 numbered copies.
5. Education at Whittlesea, 1848-1978 -
J W Payne. (1978) XII,71p H $55.00. 0909706654
This book details the history of education at Whittlesea, a diverse rural area. Limited to 250 copies signed by the printer.
1. Memoir of a Mechanic: Being a sketch of the life of Timothy Claxton, written by Himself together with Miscellaneous Papers - Timothy Claxton. (2006) x, 170p, illustrations. P $37.50. 1920753028.
A reprint of the 1839 edition published in Boston, USA, it tells the life of Timothy Claxton, the pioneer of the Mechanics' Institute movement and his studies and work towards establishing the Bungay Mechanics' Institute in England.
2. Practical Observations upon the Education of the People, addressed to the working classes and their employers – Henry Brougham. (2009) xlii, 65p. P $29.95. 9781920753153.
Lord Henry Brougham’s Practical Observations was published as a pivotal time in the British History. Continental powers were in disarray and that unrest was spreading to Britain. The idea of any general education movement was widely regarded as foolhardy. The dormant idea of the Mechanics’ Institute movement which had been ‘tested’ by George Birkbeck in Glawgow’s Andersonian Institution in 1800 was brought into play.
Back to The Lowden Publishing Home Page